Sorry for not having a recap for the results show last week. My DVR failed me.
Also, the cop-out ending was kind of a bait-and-switch. So, blah.
But tonight….tonight should be interesting! It’s Bon Jovi night!
– We start with a career retrospective of Bon Jovi.
– Tony Bennett, Jennifer Lopez, Diana Ross…all great mentors. But BON FLIPPIN’ JOVI??? That’s cool.
– Phil starts with “Blaze of Glory.” Quick tip. When you are a rock kinda guy and the setlist is, hello, Bon Jovi music, do one of the big guns! He claims to have performed this song in front of his mirror.
Hmm…listen to the lyrics: “I’m going down in a blaze of glory.” I change my mind on the song selection. Makes sense for him. He knows he’s probably on the chopping block. Really, this is a great song for that. And he sings it well. Oh, the irony! Randy recorded the song with Bon Jovi. And called it his second best performance ever. Paula loved it. See-moan: “I thought it was OK.”
– Gina is in the crowd. Again, the irony.
– Wait. Jordin’s MOM grew up listening to Bon Jovi? Damn, I feel old.
– Jordin gets the MONEY song, “Livin’ on a Prayer.”
– Jordin has 80’s hair, to go with the song. Actually, she looks like Scary Spice tonight. The first verse is rough for Jordin, but she gets it together by the middle. The end was so good, I forgot how shaky the beginning was! Randy acknowledged it was tough…especially the verses. Paula said about the same. See-moan wasn’t a fan. Here’s what I don’t get: Phil was GREAT and feels like he got no momentum. Jordin had her worst night yet and they make excuses for her. Don’t get it.
– LaKisha is in the Sponsored Cola Lounge.
– This is rich: LaKisha admits to seeing Bon Jovi on Oprah, but that she has never heard one of his songs. Wow. That statement is all sorts of messed-up. She’s performing the not-well-known “This Ain’t A Love Song.”
-LaKisha does a nice job with the song. She’s still falling down the depth chart, but this will definitely slow the descent. Didn’t have the WOW factor, but it had a SWEET factor. Probably the best you could have expected from her on Bon Jovi night. Randy says she’s back. Paula said she “gave everyone a little somethin-somethin.” See-moan threatens to kiss her. And then does. I guess that’s a good thing?
– Beatbox Blake gets the OTHER money song, “You Give Love A Bad Name.”
– He promises a risk. He colored his hair. Wow…he completely re-imagined the song. It’s funky. And then rocks out for the chorus. And beatboxes after that. Wow…this is all over the place and I LOVE it. It’s a vocal remix! Blake definitely put himself out there with this song. Randy loved the creativity, originality and the song overall. Paula: “This was your night.” See-moan’s mom is in the crowd tonight. See-moan claimed half will love it and half will hate it and he personally liked it. Works for me. The risk paid-off for the Beatbox!
– Chris Richardson is in the Sponsored Cola Lounge.
– He’s trying “Wanted Dead or Alive.”
– On the surface, should be a good song choice. Oh man…he forgot the words in front of Bon Jovi. As Richardson said, Daughtry also did this on the show. Couldn’t find that clip, but here is another one:
– Shaky, karaoke performance. Especially after Blake’s masterpiece. Blog Friend Andrea sums it up:
BFA: chris daughtry NAILED that song – you KNOW youre gonna be compared… and his voice isnt gruff enough for it. i think that was another bad choice
Randy kinda liked it. So did Paula. Did they listen to the same song I listened to? See-moan said Chris did his best, but that it might not be good enough.
– Let’s wrap things up with Melinda Doolittle! Interesting song choice, with “Have a Nice Day.”
– Bon Jovi tells Melinda to take it to church. For not being a “rocker,” she is rockin’ pretty hard in a Tina Turner-meets-Journey kinda way tonight. I dig. This is phenomenal. My Melinda crush is back in full effect. Randy loved it, compared it to Tina Turner. Paula gushed. See-moan also loved it, channeling Tina Turner.
Dubbya and Mrs. Dubbya thank Amurica.
Most Valuable Singer: Blake, followed by Phil and Melinda. Rough night for Jordin. Might be the end for Chris. Second good week in a row for Phil…will it save him?
Thanks for reading! Results tomorrow!